Hi! I'm a third-year Ph.D. student in the Department of Computer Science at Stanford University advised by Percy Liang and Dan Jurafsky.
I helped build and currently help organize the Stanford Center for Research on Foundation Models (CRFM). I am also affiliated with Stanford NLP, Stanford AI, and Stanford HAI.
My graduate studies are funded by the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program (NSF GRFP). [Press Release]
I graduated with a B.A. (Mathematics, Computer Science; 2019) and M.S. (Computer Science; 2020) from Cornell University, where I was advised by the incomparable Claire Cardie.
I am honored to have learned from the late Professor Arzoo Katiyar, who I profoundly miss.
During my time at Cornell, Cornell CS was my home. The department wrote this nice piece about my journey at Cornell. [Profile] [Profile 2]
I research the societal impact of AI systems.
Primary research interests: foundation models, evaluation, inequity and systemic harm, data
Secondary research interests: computational social science, language acquisition, algorithms and TCS
What have I been up to?
- December 2022 I wrote two papers on evaluation: Evaluation for Change (E4C; position paper) and Trustworthy Social Bias Measurement (DivDist; w/ Percy). [E4C] [DivDist]
- December 2022 Led by Mina Lee, we released Evaluating Human-Language Model Interaction! Mina is on the job market! [Paper]
- November 2022 I presented our paper at NeurIPS on systemic harms to individuals, coauthored with Katie Creel, Ananya Kumar (on job market!), Dan, and Percy. [Paper]
- November 2022 We released HELM on the holistic evaluation of language models as CRFM's first flagship project with 50 coauthors, co-led with Percy and Tony Lee. [Paper] [Website] [Blog]
- September 2022 CRFM celebrated its 1 year anniversary, with Sharon Goldman of VentureBeat writing on why 2022 is the year of foundation models. [Press]
- August 2022 Our paper on the emergent abilities of language models, led by Jason Wei, is published at TMLR. [arXiv] [Press]
- June 2022 HAI featured a story on my research journey and role in building the CRFM community. [Story]
- May 2022 Percy, Katie Creel, Rob Reich, and I argued for community norms to govern foundation models. [Blog] [Press]
- August 2021 We inaugurated the Center for Research on Foundation Models (CRFM), an amazing interdisciplinary initiative spanning 10+ departments! [Announcement Story]
- August 2021 We released our long report: On the Opportunties and Risks of Foundation Models! Thanks to all 113 of my coauthors! [Paper] [Explainer Video]