Hi! I'm a third-year Stanford CS Ph.D. advised by Percy Liang and Dan Jurafsky.
I helped build and organize the Center for Research on Foundation Models (CRFM).
Affiliations: Stanford NLP, Stanford AI, and Stanford HAI. Funding: NSF GRFP.
I began my research journey at Cornell (BA Math & CS '16-'19, MS CS '19-'20) under the masterful guidance of Claire Cardie.
I am honored to have learned from the late Professor Arzoo Katiyar, who I profoundly miss.
During my time there, Cornell CS was my home: the department wrote this about my journey. [Profile] [Profile 2]
I research the societal impact of AI, especially foundation models.
- July 2023 Talk at United Nations Conference on Large Generative Models (Host: Philipp Hacker, Sarah Hammer)
- July 2023 Panel at ICML workshop on Efficient Systems for Foundation Models
- July 2023 Panel on Language Models, Law, and Policy at NYU School of Law (Host: Paul Friedl, Gabriel Nicholas)
- June 2023 Talk at Northeastern's AI and Data Ethics Summer School
- June 2023 Talk at NIST Measurement and Evaluation Series (Host: Afzal Godil)
- May 2023 Talk at Princeton's CITP Seminar (Host: Arvind Narayanan)
- May 2023 Talk at NYU (Host: Julian Michael, Sam Bowman)
- April 2023 Attending workshop on Algorithmic Amplification at Columbia (Host: Arvind Narayanan)
- April 2023 Talk at Cornell's NLP Seminar (Host: Yoav Artzi)
- February 2023 Talk at ML Collective (Host: Rosanne Liu)
- February 2023 Guest lecture for MIT MAS.S68 (Host: Deb Roy, Shayne Longpre, Hang Jiang, Hope Schroeder)
- February 2023 Talk at ENS Paris (Host: Emmanuel Dupoux, Tu Anh Nguyen, Mathieu Rita)
- January 2023 Talk at Technion (Host: Yonatan Belinkov, Zachary Bamberger)
- January 2023 Talk at Partnership on AI (Host: Madhulika Srikumar, Elissa Redmiles)
- December 2022 Guest lecture for CMU CS 15-884 (Host: Aditi Raghunathan)
- October 2022 Talk at OSU's CSE AI Seminar (Host: Yu Su, Huan Sun, Harry Chao)
- August 2022 Fireside chat with Percy at Congressional Boot Camp on Artificial Intelligence (Host: Stanford HAI)
- October 2021 Talk at MIT NLP (Host: Jacob Andreas, Belinda Li)
- October 2021 Talk at FAIR NLP (Host: Myle Ott)
What have I been up to?
- March 2023 To improve transparency of the foundation model ecosystem, we built Ecosystem Graphs with Dilara Soylu, Thomas Liao, Katie Creel, and Percy. [Paper] [Website]
- February 2023 As CRFM's first policy effort, I wrote a brief on transparency + evaluation for LMs with Daniel Zhang, Tony Lee, and Percy. [Policy Brief]
- December 2022 I wrote two papers on evaluation: Evaluation for Change (E4C; position paper) and Trustworthy Social Bias Measurement (DivDist; w/ Percy). [E4C] [DivDist]
- December 2022 Led by Mina Lee, we released Evaluating Human-Language Model Interaction! Mina is on the job market! [Paper]
- November 2022 I presented our paper at NeurIPS on systemic harms to individuals, coauthored with Katie Creel, Ananya Kumar (on job market!), Dan, and Percy. [Paper]
- November 2022 We released HELM on the holistic evaluation of language models as CRFM's first flagship project with 50 coauthors, co-led with Percy and Tony Lee. [Paper] [Website] [Blog]
- September 2022 CRFM celebrated its 1 year anniversary, with Sharon Goldman of VentureBeat writing on why 2022 is the year of foundation models. [Press]
- August 2022 Our paper on the emergent abilities of language models, led by Jason Wei, is published at TMLR. [arXiv] [Press]
- June 2022 HAI featured a story on my research journey and role in building the CRFM community. [Story]
- May 2022 Percy, Katie Creel, Rob Reich, and I argued for community norms to govern foundation models. [Blog] [Press]
- August 2021 We inaugurated the Center for Research on Foundation Models (CRFM), an amazing interdisciplinary initiative spanning 10+ departments! [Announcement Story]
- August 2021 We released our long report: On the Opportunties and Risks of Foundation Models! Thanks to all 113 of my coauthors! [Paper] [Explainer Video]